Monday August 17, 2020
FILE - COURTESY: University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Minneapolis (HOL) - 7 more people have been added to the number of confirmed COVID-19 deaths in Minnesota bringing the total number of fatalities to 13 for the weekend.
All of the people who have died were over the age of 50 with the oldest death being a 90-year-old.
The state's death toll is now 1,706. A vast majority of those deaths are seniors who reside in long-term care homes. Ten of the 13 deaths reported this weekend were from long-term care facilities.
As the state begins to open up and loosen restrictions, the country is seeing a dramatic uptick in positive cases among young adults between the ages of 20 and 29. Minnesota's Department of Health recorded 15, 163 cases in this age demographic.
MDH said on Sunday that there were 65,152 total confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state, up 739 cases from Saturday. So far, 58,196 are believed to have recovered.
The health department added that 5,851 Minnesotans had been hospitalized as a result of COVID-19 with 290 still in the hospital. It said that 152 of those patients are being treated in the intensive care unit.
Sunday's update concluded that the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Minnesota dropped below 300 for the first time since July 30.